Note: There are multiple ways and programs out there to record one’s own voice. If you have a preferred method, please feel free to use it! Please save your file as a .mp3, .m4a or a .wav. Then, skip down to the “How to Submit” section below.
- Before beginning to record, you’ll want to open up and read through the archive questionnaire so that you’re familiar with the questions before you begin. Have these ready to go as you begin to record.
- It’s best to find a quiet room where you won’t be interrupted for approximately 20 – 30 minutes, which is the typical amount of time the questionnaire takes to answer.
- Most people have a tendency to speak quickly when they are being recorded. Try to speak slowly and as clearly as possible.
- Once you are recording, please be sure to read aloud each interview question exactly as it appears on the questionnaire <link> before answering it. Remember, you are acting as both the interviewer and the interviewee!
How to Record Yourself on a Mac
- QuickTime is an easy recording program that’s included on most Macs. To open it, go to Finder > Applications, and then choose QuickTime.
- Once you’ve opened the program, go to File, and choose “New Audio Recording.”
- When you are ready to begin, click the red “Record” circle button.
- Once you are recording, please be sure to read aloud each interview question exactly as it appears on the questionnaire before answering it. Remember, you are acting as both the interviewer and the interviewee!
- When you have completed the last question, click the red “Record” circle button again to stop recording.
- Go to “File,” and then “Save.”
- Save the file as “YourLastName_Date.” Be sure to save it somewhere convenient for you to attach and send.
All finished? Jump down to the “How to Submit Your File” section below for final instructions.
How to Record Yourself on an iPhone
Recording your interview on an iPhone is also an option, and it’s relatively straightforward. But it’s important to note that audio files take up a lot of space. If you’d like to use an iPhone for your interview and you have the space to spare, you can find very helpful instructions here. When it’s time to send us your file, note that you will tap the “share” button, which looks like a box with an arrow shooting out of the top.
How to Submit Your File
Please attach and email your file to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Please be aware that audio files are often quite large, and so your email might ask you, if you are using a form of Gmail, if you’d like to attach the file using Google Drive and share it. This works just fine! If you have any problems or questions, don’t hesitate to contact us at the addresses above.